Sunday, November 29, 2009

Down The Memory Lane

When I first came to Portugal and heard FADO, the first thing that came to my mind was the KUNDIMAN. The Kundiman is a genre of traditional Filipino love songs.

I grew up listening to old nostalgic english and filipino musics. So, if there are songs from the 90's that I know until now it is because I got to hear them from public transportation going to and from the school, or I would hear them from my classmates, friends or cousins who would tune to radio stations that plays them. It was very seldom that I would tune to stations that play contemporary music.

So FADO had a different appeal to me. Somehow it alleviated the homesickness, which I didn't think I suffered so much from.

I will feature some FADO musics that I like in my ensuing entries. Today it will be have to be a kundiman. Whenever I have time, I will feature more kundiman songs n this blog.

It is essential to remember our past and patronize our culture and be proud of it.

The feature Kundiman songs for this entry are:

Saan Ka Man Naroroon performed by Pilita Corales



Tanging Diyos Lamang Ang Nakakaalam performed Ric Manrique Jr.



And this immortal love song - Dahil Sa Iyo performed by Diomedes Maturan. I was in an hotel in Algarve few years ago when this Portuguese waiter in the bar started chatting with me asked if I was a Filipina and when I said I am he sang out of the blue this song. He said he worked in an hotel outside of Portugal, I can't remember which country. (I know I digress again, as always)



and this: Maalala Mo Kaya - (I think it very cheesy, couldn't help not to laugh) The audio is a bit funny at the end of the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment